Pages


Tei, age 88

Tei Matsushita Scott

Tei Matsushita Scott


Honoring the life of an artist, poet, mother, "Nana..."



Tei died peacefully today at the age of 90-1/2. She fought colon cancer this past year, but was fortunate enough to be able to remain at home in New York with us, her family, until passing away this morning. She suffered very little pain, and even in her final days was able to enjoy listening to her favorite Haiku and hearing about family activities.


Tei lived with us for the past 6+ years, and we were lucky enough to have her presence for holidays, family gatherings, music recitals and theater performances. Always eager to be 'doing something,' she insisted on helping around the house, even when it became physically difficult for her. We ate dinner together as a family every night, and Tei loved listening to Avery's "after-dinner" violin playing. Of course, that was after her requisite fruit and chocolate that she loved so much! She was always so appreciative of everyone helping her, and even at the very end, when speaking became so difficult for her, she managed to thank anyone who helped her in any way.


Those of you who knew her all these years know that Tei's painting and poetry were very important to her. She was devoted to her art, and even last week talked about how she wanted to "get back to working on haiku." When she died, she was surrounded by her paintings and haiku; those things that represented her life work.


Some people say they "can't believe" that Tei lived with us, because they could never live with their mother/mother-in-law. It wasn't that way for us, and we are so grateful we had this time with her.


Please feel free to post your thoughts on this blog. Tei's family and friends are scattered from Japan to New Zealand to California, so we felt that this was the best way to honor her memory. Tei did not want a mournful gathering after her death, but rather, a celebration of her life.


It is here that we gather to do so.



Thursday, September 5, 2013



This was posted on Tei's website in 2009, and seemed appropriate today:


Impersonal Summer


Breeze...
August...
the white sun...

The wheel of time
keeps turning without chiming.

Man is born and Man is gone;
the life keeps churning.

Impersonal summer...
September...

Adieus!






3 comments:

  1. Geoff, Lauren & Avery

    I felt privileged to be in her home last January, visiting with you all and with Tei while she was still sparking. It was a special time and I remain grateful for it.

    You cared for her beautifully and with the utmost dignity. I thank you for that and for the kindness you showed me as well. While awaiting disposition of Tei ashes I will sit down with a bottle of good sake.

    Kampai!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Geoff Scott,

    Thank you very much for letting know about your Mom.

    Tei-san and I belong to the alumnae of Tokyo Woman's Christian University. While I lived in the D.C. area, we met several times a year as its reunion. She always encouraged me.

    Although I sent her a letter and e-mail last year, I was not able to accept her reply. I can understand the reason thanks to your message.

    Kampai!

    Misako Fukushima, Tokyo Japan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tei,

    Thank you for sharing your constancy with me. The snipits of time you shared etched a lasting impression. I will always picture you treating Geoff and I with unbending patience as we spontaneously jump in the convertable without knowing exactly where we were going. I strive to reach your effortless equanimity with my children but I find your example impossible to emulate. I will continue to try though as you have demonstrated that it is possible (plus we now have cell phones).

    In my family Christmas is very special. You will always be a part of it. When my wife and I started out, we lived near you and Geoff in Aptos. We had nothing then and you invited us to your place to make oragami ornaments and cranberry and popcorn strings for holiday decorations. That oragami reamins an important reminder to us of beginnings and your kindness.

    Geoff reminded me another episode recently - when you got a car load of weary travelers to spontaneously practice yoga in your driveway after a long road trip - your infectious enthusiasm moving us to action. I remember you introducing me to new vistas on food (in particular steak tartar), prying open perspectives on art, introducing me to haiku,and always your gracious and regal temperment even when we appeared on your door step at some unexpected hour.

    Thank you for sharing your warmth and spirit; they made indelible memories that will long remind me to smile.

    Bruce Edgerton

    ReplyDelete